Gas Appliances to be Fitted and Inspected by a CORGI Registered Company at least once a year
ATS Gas services specialises in this line of work, we take all the hassle from you and will contact the tenant to arrange entry and contact you when the inspection is complete to arrange to give you the relevant paper work.
Prices for this service start from £50 for the first two appliances.
Below is some information provided from the health and safety executive to help with any questions you may need answered. Also is a link with examples of landlords who have been jailed and fined for not fulfilling there obligations.
A guide to landlords’ duties:
Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
This information is aimed at landlords and explains some of the main requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. It also gives guidance on how to comply with them. The info will also be of interest to tenants, making them aware of landlords’ duties.
Every year about 14 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed or maintained. Many others also suffer ill health.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 specifically deal with the installation, maintenance and use of gas appliances, fittings and flues in domestic and certain commercial premises. They place duties on certain landlords to ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants’ use are safe.
These duties to protect tenants’ safety are in addition to the more general ones that landlords have under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
What type of property is covered?
The duties generally apply to appliances and flues provided for tenants’ use in ‘relevant premises’, that is those occupied for residential purposes under either a licence, a tenancy agreement for a set term, or a lease as defined in the Regulations. Essentially any lease under seven years is covered.
What are my main duties as a landlord?
You are required to:
- Ensure gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition.
- Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe and Oftech registered engineer;
- Ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue. Before any new lease starts, you must make sure that these checks have been carried out within one year before the start of the lease date, unless the appliances in the property have been installed for less than 12 months, in which case they should be checked within 12 months of their installation date;
- Have all installation, maintenance and safety checks carried out by a Gas Safe and Oftech registered engineer;
- Keep a record of each safety check for at least two years;
- Issue a copy of the latest safety check record to existing tenants within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in (in certain cases there is an option to display the record).
The Regulations specify the gas safety matters to be covered. You should not assume that an annual service inspection meets the safety check requirement, or that a safety check will, on its own, be sufficient to provide effective maintenance. Ask the advice of a Gas Safe registered engineer where necessary.
Call us now on 028 90 315 977 or request a call back using our online form.